Last month, we saw two trends in T.O.:
- A significant drop in new Covid-19 cases, and
- People under 40 accounting for most of the new cases in August.
This week we are seeing a familiar and sad pattern, new cases are concentrated in North Etobicoke and North Scarborough. For example, the postal code M9R in North Etobicoke has had 66 reported cases since August 1, 2020. In contrast, postal codes in Central Toronto are in the single digits for the same timeframe.
We have heard that density is one possible reason why there are Covid hotspots in Toronto. However, when we see far more dense cities like Taipei having defeated Covid, we quickly realize that density is not an excuse.
Certainly, there is a link between Covid cases and income. However, we have the means to help North Etobicoke and North Scarborough. Consequently, we should act by demanding the following from our governments:
- More frequent TTC buses to avoid overcrowding which leads to outbreaks,
- More Covid testing to contain outbreaks, and
- Free smartphones so everyone can use the Covid Alert app.
Together we have managed to slow the spread of Covid down significantly, together we can defeat it.