You may already know that both North Etobicoke and North Scarborough have experienced the highest number of Covid cases in Toronto. Furthermore, last Friday, July 10th Public Health Toronto released additional information via the City’s Open Data portal.
A look at Covid fatalities by postal code reveals that certain Scarborough neighbourhoods have suffered a higher number of fatalities:
- As of the date of the Open Data information, there are a total of 1106 Covid fatalities in all of Toronto.
- The postal code M1E, which includes Guildwood, Morningside, and West Hill, has the highest number of fatalities with 86.
- Furthermore, four Scarborough postal codes are among the ten highest in terms of Covid fatalities.
- In fact, these four Scarborough postal codes account for approximately 20% of all of the Covid fatalities in Toronto.
A look at two postal codes in Parkdale-High Park reveals that there can be large discrepancies within one district:
- The postal code M6K, which includes Brockton, Parkdale Village, and Exhibition Place, has 34 Covid fatalities.
- Yet, nearby postal code M6P, which includes High Park, and The Junction South, has 8 Covid fatalities.
- So even between nearby postal codes there can be large discrepancies in terms of Covid fatalities.
The City of Toronto needs to find out what exactly is causing these large discrepancies in terms of Covid fatalities by neighbourhood.
Table: Ten postal codes in T.O. with the highest Covid fatalities.
|Postal Code||Neighbourhoods||Borough||Covid fatalities|
|M1E||Guildwood, Morningside, West Hill||Scarborough||86|
|M3J||Northwood Park, York University||North York||61|
|M9B||West Deane Park, Princess Gardens, Martin Grove, Islington, Cloverdale||Etobicoke||55|
|M1C||Rouge Hill, Port Union, Highland Creek||Scarborough||55|
|M6M||Del Ray, Mount Dennis, Keelsdale and Silverthorn||York||50|
|M1N||Birch Cliff, Cliffside West||Scarborough||41|
|M1L||Golden Mile, Clairlea, Oakridge||Scarborough||36|
|M6K||Brockton, Parkdale Village, Exhibition Place||West Toronto||34|